For many teens, the thought of wearing metal braces comes filled with dread. The visibility of wearing braces can be particularly anxiety-producing for teens in the high-stress environment of middle and high school.
No one wants to look back on their photos of homecoming or events with friends and see an embarrassed, tight-lipped smile or a layer of metal over their teeth. Fortunately, traditional metal braces no longer remain the only option for teenagers. Invisalign® Teen offers a custom solution that eliminates the negative feelings and ideas often associated with metal braces while still producing the desired result: straight, aligned teeth.
Invisalign Teen is available at Fort Lauderdale Dental Studio in Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area. Our staff can help you make the right decision for your child’s dental needs. Call us at (954) 519-7792 to schedule a consultation.
Invisalign Teen offers a series of clear, plastic aligner trays custom made to fit over the teeth. They work to gently move teeth to better positions in the same way as traditional braces, creating a long-lasting, healthy smile.
Invisalign Teen trays are removable, allowing for easier brushing and flossing to maintain healthy teeth and gums. As such, many teens prefer them over traditional metal braces. Invisalign Teen remains particularly popular among teens involved in sports, musical instruments, and other activities. By keeping the mouth free of metal parts associated with traditional braces, Invisalign Teen reduces the risk of oral injury.
However, teens must remember to put their Invisalign trays in a safe place upon removal to prevent them from being misplaced or accidentally discarded. In the event they do misplace their trays, we can work to provide replacement aligners.
Since Invisalign Teen comes completely clear, it allows patients to feel confident in their smiles while undergoing treatment. In most cases, only the patient wearing the aligners can tell them apart, making them more cosmetically appealing than traditional metal braces.
“Invisalign Teen offers a series of clear, plastic aligner trays custom made to fit over the teeth.”
Conditions Invisalign Teen Treats
Invisalign Teen can treat a broad range of orthodontic conditions, including:
- Crowded teeth
- Widely-spaced teeth
Invisalign Teen remains effective at correcting mild to moderate cases. Patients who opt for this system most often have crowded teeth, gap teeth, or misaligned teeth. Invisalign Teen is not always suitable for children with more severe orthodontic issues, such as missing teeth or major malocclusions. Children must also be ready for the level of responsibility that comes with using Invisalign Teen.
“Invisalign Teen can treat a broad range of orthodontic conditions, including crowded teeth, widely spaced teeth, overbite, crossbite, and underbite.”
Choosing Invisalign Teen for Your Child
Straightening one's teeth comes with a certain level of personal responsibility. Invisalign Teen requires attention and care from the patient. Parents should make sure their teen is ready for this level of accountability.
One of the benefits of Invisalign Teen is that it is removable. Many teens enjoy this, as they can easily remove the aligners for eating, drinking, and activities. However, this means that they must also remember to safely store them and remember to put them back for treatment to progress.
Teens must wear their aligners between 20 to 22 hours a day. Each aligner has a blue-to-clear compliance indicator, acting as a gauge for how long each aligner must be worn. The indicator turns clear once it is time for the aligner to be replaced. In the event the teen does lose his or her aligner, we can begin the process of getting replacement aligners.
One of the advantages of choosing Invisalign Teen is fewer appointments. While braces need to be adjusted every few weeks, Invisalign’s progress requires checking every few months. To make an informed decision regarding their child’s readiness for Invisalign Teen, parents must understand their child’s individual needs and level of personal responsibility.
“To make an informed decision regarding your child’s readiness for Invisalign Teen, you must understand your child’s individual needs and level of personal responsibility.”
Wearing traditional braces may cause your child some minor pain and discomfort. The metal brackets may irritate gentle tissues in the mouth and cause mouth sores. Patients can expect to feel some pain during and after adjustments, too, as the teeth shift into new positions.
Invisalign Teen is a suitable alternative for patients with a low pain tolerance, helping them achieve the smile they desire with minimal discomfort. While a child may feel pressure from each new set of aligners, it should never be enough to cause significant discomfort or pain. A child's treatment plan will set the aligners enough to straighten the teeth but not enough to be overbearing or unbearable.
“Invisalign Teen is a suitable alternative for patients with a low pain tolerance, helping them achieve the smile they desire with minimal discomfort.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Best Age to Use Invisalign Teen
Invisalign Teen is only suitable for children who already have all of their permanent teeth. For most teenagers, this happens by age 13. With a thorough examination, we can determine whether Invisalign Teen is the right treatment option for each of our patients — and, if it is, when to begin.
“Invisalign Teen is only suitable for children who already have all of their permanent teeth.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can parents ensure their teens wear the Invisalign aligners properly?
A. Each Invisalign Teen aligner includes an indicator — a small blue dot on the aligner. If your teen wears the aligners daily for the recommended time, the blue dot will slowly disappear. This allows for easily monitoring your child’s progress with aligner usage.
Q. What happens if my teen loses an aligner?
A. Sometimes accidents happen. Teens may misplace aligners or accidentally throw them away. If this happens, call us right away and we will begin working on providing you with replacement aligners.
Q. How long will my teen need to wear the aligners?
A. Invisalign Teen must be worn between 20-22 hours a day, every day, throughout the course of treatment. Total treatment time may vary and may take up to 18 months or longer for desired results. Your teen must wear the aligner as directed to ensure treatment time optimization.
Q. How much does Invisalign Teen cost?
A. The cost of Invisalign Teen depends on the amount of alignment your child’s teeth will require and the amount of insurance coverage you have. In general, the cost of Invisalign Teen remains comparable to conventional braces and generally takes less time to deliver the desired results. Call us at (954) 519-7792 to learn more about cost and financing options.
- Aligner Trays
- With Invisalign® treatment, the patient will receive a series of aligner trays and swap out each one for the next one in the series every two weeks in order to gradually straighten the teeth.
- Blue Compliance Indicator (Invisalign® Teen)
- The blue compliance indicator is a small blue dot on the aligners that will fade from blue to clear in order to indicate if the patient is wearing the aligner for the proper amount of time and where the patient is in the Invisalign® process.
- ClinCheck® Software
- ClinCheck® software allows professionals to map out the straightening process the patient’s teeth will go through with Invisalign® in great detail.
- Gum Line
- The gum line is the line in the mouth where the teeth and gums meet. If a patient struggles with gum recession, then the gum tissue around the teeth may begin to wear away.
- Incisal Ridges
- Incisal ridges are the portion of the crown of the tooth that makes up the incisal portion and can be a direct cause of overbite if they are extended too far.
- iTero Element® Scanner
- An iTero Element® scanner allows professionals to create a 3D image of the patient’s teeth in minutes and predict what it will take to move the teeth into proper alignment.
- Malocclusion is the condition in which the upper and lower teeth do not meet properly when the bite is closed. Conditions of malocclusion can include overbite, underbite, crossbite and open bite; all of which are treatable with Invisalign®.
- An overbite is a type of malocclusion that occurs when the upper teeth jut out over the lower teeth, covering them and causing other issues.
- Polyurethane Resin
- Polyurethane Resin is a USP Class VI medical grade, high molecular weight compound that makes up the Invisalign® aligners.
- SmartForce Attachments
- SmartForce attachments are small attachments that professionals place on the patient’s teeth before placing aligners to help move the teeth.
- Smart Track® Material
- Smart Track® material is in Invisalign® aligners to increase comfort, improve control of movement, increases the speed of treatment and applies a gentle force to the teeth over time.
- Smile-Scan analyzes the way a patient smiles by measuring the position of the mouth and eyes before giving a score.
- Vivera® Retainers
- Vivera® retainers are a type of retainer that consists of clear plastic material and helps to maintain orthodontic corrections after a treatment.
Learn More About Invisalign Teen Today
Fortunately for your teens, straightening your teeth no longer has to be a painful endeavor. We at Fort Lauderdale Dental Studio can help. If you are located in Fort Lauderdale or the surrounding area and would like to learn more about Invisalign Teen, call us at (954) 519-7792 to learn more.